Whether you find yourself measuring for gymnastics leotards or ballet dresses it pretty much comes down to a few specific measurements that you can find below this informational video. Preparing for dance recitals or gym routines shouldn't be stressful and with these helpful tips hopefully you can stress on the style of your choice and not the fit. If you need additional information on a specific item in our store please feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for your needs.
When using a tape measure, it should comfortably fit around the area you are measuring. You don’t want to have too much slack in the tape but it shouldn’t be too tight either. It’s best to measure your students in their form-fitting dancewear to avoid measuring over baggy clothing and getting improper results.
Bust: Measure across the back and around the fullest part of the bust
Waist: Measure around the natural waist
Hips: Measure around the widest part of the hips
Girth: Measure from the center of one shoulder, down through the crotch, and back up to the same shoulder
Inseam: Measure from the crotch down to the ankle bone on the inside of the leg
To measure for a slip:
Underskirts usually have an adjustable elastic waistband. To measure a dancer for a slip you must measure waist, length from waist to top of the dancer’s knee. Younger dancer’s should consider buying a larger sized slip and tightening the waistband and wearing the slip higher on their body.
To measure a dancer for a vest:
You must measure the dancer’s bust, waist, and one measurement around at the midpoint between the dancer’s bust and waist. Length of the vest is determined by measuring from the shoulder seam down the front of the dancer to their waist and from the shoulder seam down the dancer’s back to their waist.
How to Measure for a Gymnastics Leotard:
- Chest Measurement: Take this measurement when you are taking a deep breath, arms held out at shoulder height.
- Waist Measurement: Take this measurement at the natural waistline – reference the photo to the right to understand this placement.
- Hip Measurement: Take this measurements around the fullest part of the buttocks.
- Torso Measurement: Take this one from the center of the shoulder, down the front, through the crotch, and up the back to the starting point.
- Inseam Measurement: This is the measurement that is the length of the leg from the crotch to one inch above the floor. Measure in stocking feet.